This is my first ever Pinterest project. I had seen a picture a long, long time ago and decided to give it a shot.
I followed a tutorial by Tattooed Martha.
Below is the method I used, based on the one I read on Tattooed Marthas website.
A outdoor rubber mat with holes
Clear silicon sealer
Some plastic to line the mat underneath so the silicon does not stick to your surface
Turpentine (if needed)
Cotton tips (if needed)
- Place your plastic on the surface of your working area.
- Place the rubber mat on top.
- Start arranging the stones working from around the boarder.
- Apply silicon on to all stones when happy with the arrangement, and place back on mat. You do not need to apply pressure, applying pressure may cause for you to accidentally move your stone out of place.
- Continue to apply stones. I started from the bottom and worked my way upward, arranging an individual stone and gluing down after each placement.
- Repeat until mat is full and you are happy with the result.
- Let dry for 24 hours.
Tips and tricks:
- Use turpentine and cotton tips to remove any silicon residue.
- Make sure you dry for at least 24hours! Even if the instructions on the silicon says it will dry sooner. Be patient, nothing worse than one rock coming off and causing a domino effect.
- It is important to purchase a rubber mat with several holes, if using as a bath mat the water must be able to drain.
- Check your stones if purchasing from a craft or hardware store that they are non slip.
- Line you mat with plastic, I used a garbage bag. If you have an old shower curtain that would work too. Remember to always ‘Reuse & Recycle’.
Words of Wisdom:
I ended up going back after 24 hours, and overlaying more stones to cover any areas where the rubber mat was very visible. This also ended up creating a lot more depth to the piece which I really liked. It also feels amazing under my feet and created a much more massage affect when walking across or standing on.
Very important! Make sure you open up a bag of stones when you get home and check what size they are. The grey stones I used looked a lot bigger in the bag. I initially bought three bags, in total weighing about 5kgs; this only got me half way and I had to go back to the store I bought them from for more. So ended up being very heavy at almost 10 kilos.
For my first ever pinterest project, I’m pretty happy with the results. It was very easy, and something that could be done with younger children and it looks amazing in my bathroom.
I thought that it would be cheap, but ended up being a little costly. Originally I spent about $30 for the materials, but because I ran out of stones halfway I had to buy more which put me put of pocket another $18.00. This ending up costing me approximately $48.00
Come follow me on Instagram for future DIY Pinterest Projects.